Don buri beef bowl (Slimming World friendly)

I love this recipe it makes a really delicious dish which is really tasty but low in syns, tastes naughty but is really good for you.

I had the inspiration for this from seeing this dish at Wagamamas and when I checked it was 17 1/2 syns!!! I  knew I could make something similar myself and make it Slimming World friendly. I make no claims to the authenticity of this dish but it's my version and was really popular with my family. I used boil in the bag rice as its quick and portions are measured but you can use ordinary white rice if you like or even cauliflower or broccoli rice is you prefer.


Don Buri beef bowl 

4 thin beef steaks (all fat removed)

2 sachets boil in the bag white rice

150ml light soy sauce
100ml water
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tsp crushed ginger (or 1/2tsp ground ginger) 
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp cornflour

shredded carrot
peashoots and lambs lettuce leaves (bought in a bag)

1 tsp sesame seeds


Cook the rice according to the instructions and set aside, Lightly season the steaks with salt and pepper and pan fry or grill until cooked then set to one side to rest.

Place the soy sauce, water, garlic, ginger and honey in a small saucepan. Whisk together and bring to the boil then simmer for a few minutes, Mix the cornflour well with a little cold water then add to the pan and keep whisking while it's simmering until it's slightly thickened.

Divide the rice between four bowls, Slice the steaks into thin strips and lay on top of the rice. Place the shredded carrot and salad leave around the edges of the bowl then drizzle the sauce evenly over the beef and rice in the middle.

Sprinkle on the sesame seeds and serve.

Serves 4 generously and is only 1 syn per portion.



Popular Posts