Slow cooker chunky chili (Slimming World friendly)

This time of year the slow cooker is coming out more and more. I am a big fan of slow cooker dishes I like to prepare everything the night before then just throw it all in the morning before I go to work and then its just cooking the rice and finishing the dish when I get in.

Traditionally chili is made with minced beef but for this one I used lean diced braising steak I sometimes find when you cook a chili all day the mince almost disappears this way the meat is very tender and stays more in pieces.

I try and add plenty of vegetables to my chilis too as its a great way to get more superfree vegetables in your meal and also for this one I add some fresh tomatoes an hour before the end of cooking to freshen the dish up.  I like a little bit of spice not too hot but of course up the chili if you like it hotter.


Slow cooker chunky chili


700g diced lean braising beef or lean stewing steak
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato puree
1/2 pint beef stock (from a cube is fine)
1 large onion (diced)
2 large carrots (grated)
2 sticks celery (diced)
1-2 peppers (diced) any colour you like
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
2 cans black eyed beans or red kidney beans (drained)
salt and pepper


Put everything EXCEPT the cherry tomatoes,beans and salt and pepper into the slow cooker and cook on low for approximately 8 hours.

An hour before serving remove the lid of the slow cooker to let the liquid evaporate a bit and add the cherry tomatoes and the beans and mix well.

After an hour taste to see how much salt and pepper to add, I served it over rice with my healthy extra of low fat grated cheese on top.

Syn free and serves 4 people generously.




Popular Posts